Survey Office Technician
Location: Allen, TX
CEC is a privately-held engineering firm, serving both public entities and private developers. We offer extensive services, which allow us to be involved with projects from conception to design, to construction. Our focus is to eliminate aging infrastructure and drive community growth through innovative and collaborative engineering design. CEC is a Top Workplace that offers excellent benefits, professional development and growth opportunities for employees.
This role is responsible for conducting accurate and efficient land surveys for various projects in Texas and Oklahoma.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides technical support while working independently but under the direction of and as a team with a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (RPLS).
- Utilizes AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation to draft a variety of detailed dimensionally accurate survey drawings from raw field data to final client deliverables.
- Performs deed research for various types of projects and prepares a deed sketch from said research.
- Prepares and interprets metes and bounds descriptions of property boundary surveys for use in easements, deeds, leases, plats, or other legal documents.
- Reduces field notes, sketches, and raw data for boundary, topographic and other types of surveys, and prepares the preliminary client deliverable for review by an RPLS.
- Visits project sites to ensure drawing files are an accurate representation of real-world conditions, keeps a record of site visits, and communicates findings to the RPLS.
- Participates in and ensures QC/QA procedures are followed. Maintains survey standards and procedures in assigned work.
- Professionally communicates data and results of surveys with office personnel, engineering personnel, clients, and other project stakeholders.
- Communicates and acts professionally both verbally and in writing with peers, clients, and the public at large while representing CEC Core Values.
- Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Complies with all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
- Cross trains and works with Remote Sensing and/or Field Survey staff as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Technical proficiency in land surveying
- Professional communication proficiency
- Servant Leadership
- Certificate from college or technical school; or two years of office related experience and/or training.
- One year of experience with any Geomatic Software for processing raw survey data, such as Trimble Business Center.
- Two years of experience working with AutoCAD Civil 3D or Microstation and Microsoft Office software.
- English language skills: ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning skills: ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc. AutoCAD Civil 3D proficiency preferred.
- Organizational skills: ability to prioritize and organize tasks; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Smart phone with data plan sufficient for company requirements, such as multi-factor authentication, time tracking, truck maintenance, mileage tracking, expense reimbursement, e-mail, and virtual communications.
- NSPS Certified Survey Technician Certification
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Trimble Business Center software
- Knowledge of Trimble equipment. Extensive experience using Trimble GPS and Robots, with knowledge of and/or willingness to learn Laser Scanning
- Knowledge of Land Surveying Statutes and Standards in Texas
- An associate degree in land surveying
- Desire and ability to pursue certification as a CST or licensure as an SIT/RPLS
- Majority light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a technical or administrative nature.
- Intermittently, ability to sit up to eight hours per day.
- Ability to manipulate computer mouse up to eight hours per day.
- When field work is required:
- Some heavy physical activity performing strenuous day activities of a primarily productive/technical nature.
- Ability to stand and walk up to ten hours per day.
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain and climb over or crawl under obstacles.
- Ability to occasionally bend, crouch or stoop.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time, frequently over uneven surfaces.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to hear and talk to communicate and give verbal direction.
- Ability to see clearly 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more; ability to identify and distinguish colors; ability to adjust focus; depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships).
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds regularly and 50 pounds occasionally.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
- Moderate noise.
- Occasionally outdoors exposed to changing weather conditions (rain, sun, snow, wind, etc.), dust, dirt, cuts, bites, or stings.
- May require use of protective and/or safety equipment.
- Monday through Friday normally; occasional weekend work may be required.
- Flexible schedule with extended hours may be required.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Occasional overtime required.
- Eligible to submit application for telecommuting after 90 days.
CEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.