Survey Department Manager
Location: Allen, TX
CEC is a privately-held engineering firm, serving both public entities and private developers. We offer extensive services, which allow us to be involved with projects from conception to design, to construction. Our focus is to eliminate aging infrastructure and drive community growth through innovative and collaborative engineering design. CEC is a Top Workplace that offers excellent benefits, professional development and growth opportunities for employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides servant-leadership to department, practice, and company; embraces and models CEC values. Engages department in setting and achieving goals and objectives that contribute to CEC’s vision, purpose, and strategic plan.
- Ensures the quality, accuracy, and completeness of departmental work as to surveying, design, and drafting; compliance with established standards, procedures, codes, and ordinances; adherence to project scopes and schedules; and provides training, technical and administrative guidance, and instruction to team members in the Department.
- Ensures departmental revenue and profitability targets are achieved and maintained.
- Responsible for work-in-progress, ensures accurate client billings, and monitors outstanding accounts receivable and collection efforts on assigned projects.
- Develops and implements departmental technical standards and procedures, including quality control/quality assurance processes. Assists in the development and coordination of Practice and inter-departmental standards and procedures.
- Develops, fosters, and maintains client relationships. Pursues repeat or follow-up work with current clients. Collaborates with Marketing and Business Development staff to respond to new business opportunities, including engaging in preparation of proposals, interviews, and presentations.
- Performs various personnel functions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, performance management, salary and position recommendations, mentoring and employee development. Plans and schedules work for the department, ensuring the appropriate and effective distribution of assignments and manpower, space, and equipment for efficient performance of duties. Reviews and approves timesheets for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintains awareness of and executes corporate policies and procedures to ensure consistent departmental application and compliance.
- Analyzes fiscal requirements of the Department, including staffing, equipment, and related needs; prepares budgetary recommendations; monitors and approves expenditure of budgeted funds.
- Complies with and ensures team adheres to all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communication proficiency
- Critical thinking
- Business acumen
- Ten years’ related experience and/or training in leadership, team building, and survey and geospatial processes, procedures, and technologies.
- Texas Registered Professional Land Surveyor (RPLS) license required.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Ability to pass background check and pre-employment drug/alcohol testing. Department of Transportation (DOT) sensitive positions subject to annual and random drug testing.
- English language skills: ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, plans, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from peers, managers, clients, vendors, and the public.
- Mathematical skills: ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning skills: ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficient personal computer skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, MicroStation, Trimble, AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or GEOPAK preferred.
- Organizational skills: ability to prioritize and organize tasks; ability to handle multiple clients and tasks simultaneously; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature. Intermittently, sedentary physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to hear and talk to communicate and give verbal direction.
- Ability to sit up to eight hours per day.
- Ability to manipulate computer mouse up to eight hours per day.
- Ability to stand and/or walk, including over uneven surfaces, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to see clearly 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more; ability to identify and distinguish colors; depth perception; and ability to adjust focus.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
- Moderate noise.
- Occasionally outdoors exposed to changing weather conditions (rain, sun, wind, etc.).
- Requires use of protective and/or safety equipment.
- Fixed schedule of 40 hours per week between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Extended hours required as projects dictate.
- Frequent travel may be required to accommodate clients, to attend events, conferences, or meetings, and between CEC offices.
- Eligible to submit application for telecommuting after 90 days.
CEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.