Construction, Engineering and Inspection Intern
Location: Oklahoma City, OK or Tulsa, OK
CEC is seeking civil engineering students who are interested in solving problems and desire to gain an understanding of the construction practices for the roads and bridges that allow transportation across the State. This internship will allow students the opportunity to work alongside Inspectors, Engineers, Testing Field Technicians, and Lab Technicians to gain insight into construction engineering and inspection.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews plans, specifications, and special provisions for municipal, federal, or client regulations and requirements. Regulations include clients within DOTs, cities and private developments.
- Observes construction work and contractor activities to determine whether construction work is performed in substantial compliance with plans, specifications and special provisions.
- Examines documentation of intermittent contractor estimate reviews and documentation of recorded daily activities for accuracy and compliance.
- Performs a variety of tests on construction materials including soils, aggregates, concrete, asphalt, and other materials, using sophisticated materials-testing equipment, per state, municipal or client regulations and requirements.
- Complies with all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Problem solving/analysis
- Technical capacity
- Communication proficiency
- Pursuing Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in engineering from accredited college or university for engineering position.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- English language skills: ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to clients and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical skills: ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning skills: ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc. AutoCAD Civil 3D proficiency preferred.
- Organizational skills: ability to prioritize and organize tasks; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to sit up to eight hours per day.
- Ability to stand and/or walk, including over uneven surfaces, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to manipulate computer mouse up to eight hours per day.
- Ability to see clearly 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more; ability to identify and distinguish colors; ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift and move up to 10 pounds occasionally and up to 25 pounds intermittently.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
- Moderate noise.
- Occasionally outdoors exposed to changing weather conditions (for instance, rain, sun, wind, etc.).
- Fixed schedule of 40 hours per week between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Occasional overtime may be required.
CEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.